Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Favorite Things


There is a song called "My favorite Things" sung by Julie Andrews. She sings about simple things that make her happy when she is down; things such as raindrops on noses and whiskers on kittens. Yes, this does all sound rather whimsical and silly, and no, I'm not feeling down.
But, one of my favorite things is wildlife. I love animals, some I would not venture to keep or touch; but I do enjoy looking at them.
Todd and I were on our way home from Pennsylvania and as usual, I stared at the scenery while my mind wandered. The trip from PA to MI is beautiful when there's a fresh layer of snow blanketing the trees and mountains. While I was looking at the scenery, I couldn't help but recognize the glory and majesty of my Lord.
Now this is when the frivolous and whimsical Janine kicks in. The drive from PA to MI is also very long. So I started looking for deer. I was also praying on and off, praising God for the glory shown in His creation. While I was praying, I asked God, knowing it was silly, if I could see some deer. I know, of all the things to pray for...
Anyways, about a half hour down the road I was talking to Todd and looked over to my right, and what do ya know. I saw deer, not one, but probably 10-15 deer. It absolutely made my day.
Now I know God loves me, and I don't need any other evidence than my salvation through Jesus Christ. But when I see such a shallow prayer answered for someone as silly as me, I can't help but feel completely humbled by God's love. That definitely is my favorite thing.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Blog! This was a great reminder of the grace and glory of God. It's great watching you grow closer to our Lord. I love you!

    ReplyDelete