Friday, September 25, 2009

Lessons From Rotating Babies

Last week one of the best things happened in a long time...I quit IHOP. Now that I don't work there anymore I feel like I have so much more free time. But I also have started being a babysitter again. I helped with childcare for a Bible study for nurses and just about all the women there were new mothers or they just spend every waking moment with there children.
A lady and myself were in charge of the babies - about seven of them. We were doing just fine and along comes a mother... "Oh I'm just checking on him, maybe he can take a nap now with me." Of course another baby starts crying and here comes mom harking to the cry of her child.
Only mom can change the diapers, only mom can give baby its pacifier, and only mom can stop it's crying. I now have a new favorite game. It's called rotating babies. After about two hours of handing off and trading children we ended with two babies.

The lesson I have learned are the following:
1. A crying baby is not the end of the world
2.Paying a babysitter is pointless if you won't let he or she actually do anything.
3.A nap isn't going to happen in the same room with twelve talking women.
4. Being apart from a child for one hour a week is probably not enough.
5. Jewelry also can double as a handle.
6. Chewed up graham cracker is a great moisturizer.
In the far far off future when Todd and I have children, hopefully I don't eat my words.


No comments:

Post a Comment